Saturday, March 12, 2011

Pieces

"I feel like whenever I go on an adventure and I meet you, we make a little trade. I give you a little piece of me, you give me a little piece of you. Now we are different, better. We can never go back."
JWB

A good thief always tips his hat.  http://www.slambovia.com/
I wish Gandalf Murphy and The Slambovia Circus of Dreams would come back to the Left Coast.

Friday, smoking 5:30 with Pradeep.  Not quite crippled to start and extremely better after: "You're in the pose, if not get out, what are you doing here ?"

Saturday
I get to work six days a week now.  It's ok.
Gym before:
100 swing warm-up 10+10x5 16kg
5 burpees, to push-ups (3) to twin 24kg suitcase deads
15+15 step back lunges off of box
10+10 32 kg rows
10 deck squats, 8kg to 4kg
x3
30/30 24kg swings, 20 rep pace to 1+1 tgu x 5
 another 100 swings x 5 without TGU.
Sunday, nothing.
Monday
I am digging the long cycle double press work
100 16kg swing warm-up
5 double 20, 5 double 24 long cycle press, to single 32kg C&P
15+15 sls off of 12 inch platform
10 reverse pull-ups off of smith, to 5 neutral grip pull-ups, 16lb assist
10 deck squats, 8, then 4 counterbalance.
Going slow on the deck squats and thinking somersault to stand up far more effective that trying to bull my way to feet.  Slow down old man.
x3
30/30 24kg swings (20 reps) x 10.
Tuesday
Three miles am then quick hit CT class.  30 second swings, 5 different weight bells each, one of 32, 28, 20, 24, 16 and even 12 for one.  That to squats. 4x, 400 swings in 20.
Wednesday
Really tough Pradeep class
Thursday
Nothing
Friday
Up at 6:30 and C comes up the stairs in tears.  I think her rabbits must have died or something, but no, go downstairs to see Japan has been torn apart into pieces.  They are showing the tsunami hitting the Sendai airport over and over and talking about how prepared Japan is for large earthquakes.  The scope is so awfully crushing; there cannot be any way to prepare for this.
They are talking about a Tsunami hitting west coast and check to see if ferry is running.  It is, the inconvenience to me will be minimal as we will experience a best a mild surge.
The bouncy folk tunes that have been below the internal dialogue of late disappear and I am overwhelmed with sadness.  I don't even like people that much, but this is so big and shocking and could so easily be us.  Put on the rare friday suit as special mastering and must look special.  The bay is flat and the morning is beautiful, just the odd tsunami warning sign at Lincoln.
 Its going to be a really busy day but head in early for some gym work:
60 swing warm-up
Long cycle clean and press ladders 1-5+1-5 24kg
10+10 sls off 18 inch box;
5 then 3 assisted pull-ups, 16lbs assist
10 deck squats, usual counterbalance.
x3
30/30 20 24kg swings x 10.
Busy busy day; every time I sit down for a second of rest start to tear up.  Pretty clear no one has any idea yet what the scope of this is.
Get home and the tension is so thick its palpable.  C has the TV turned up way too loud and its all death and destruction in japanese.  Ian is flipping out because he got rejected from yet another school, which was utterly predictable but grinds on him nonetheless, he is angry won't talk and in tears.  I turn the fucking tv way back down and make Joe's Special.  Ian will not come out and eat.
Watch Date Night with Brigid which is funny.
This morning.  Japanese nuke plant has exploded.  Two trains are missing.  I got work to do and want to go to yoga first.  Shelve it Dad, you have work here to do.  Rose sees the blue jeans and gets frisky.  Get Ian up and out into marsh.  Start talking to him about taking a year off.  I realize that was effectively what I did, given my abysmal first semester of college; did not get better until the Spring.  Talk to him about Peace Corps, other NGO possibilities, he is warming to that.  It is abundantly clear he needs to get out of the Bay Area, on his own, but not alone, and grow up as his adult role models have been less than stellar examples and it is equally clear I need to get him hooked into that. We talk and talk, take him to brunch after, he seems better.
Sigh.  Into office.  Three hours later, into gym for quick hit:
15/15 7 rep 16kg snatches x 60.
 There are pieces of me everywhere; that ain't nothing compared to the pieces of you streaming into my den.  The sadness may be overwhelming but it cannot be crippling.  No one gets better then.

No comments: