Sunday, February 16, 2014

What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding . . .


"If we took just five minutes to recognize each other’s beauty instead of attacking each other for our differences—that’s not hard, it’s really an easier and better way to live. And ultimately, it saves lives. Then again, it can be the hardest thing—because loving other people starts with loving ourselves and accepting ourselves. And I know many of you have struggled with this, and I draw upon your strength and your support in ways that you will never know.  And I am here today because I am gay. And because maybe I can make a difference to help others have an easier and more hopeful time. Regardless, for me, I feel a personal obligation and a social responsibility. I also do it selfishly, because I’m tired of hiding. And I’m tired of lying by omission. I suffered for years because I was scared to be out. My spirit suffered, my mental health suffered, and my relationships suffered."
Ellen Page, 2/14/14.

Brigid came out on 2/14/13.  This was not news to me, but it was a big deal for her at the time.  She promptly cut her hair off, gave up on wearing anything feminine, and has generally been a lot happier since.  I am happy to buy her Axe products and say nothing when she steals my boxer briefs.  (This is an interesting twist on what must occur in most households in which an 18 year old girl lives; only she is stealing mom's lingerie, instead of Dad' s boxer briefs.  I like my life better.)  Wherever we go she is mistaken for a young man which bothers me more that it does her.

So when the twittersphere erupted a couple of days ago when Ellen Page came out I was a bit baffled about the hullabaloo, but it seemed sweet and cemented my fondness for Ellen Page.  She is smart and articulate and I did tear up quite a bit during her talk, and appreciated her insights.

I am less fond of the hate legislation being passed in Kansas.  More than one person is going to die as a result of such cruelty.

We need an army of Ellen Pages, as well as an army of enraged parents, teachers, politicians and just plain folk.

At any rate, I asked Brigid if she'd watched Ellen's speech and she said she hadn't.  She looked at me incredulously and said:  "God Dad, what did you think, that's news ?  My gaydar went off immediately when we watched Juno."

We watched Juno in 2008, when Brig was 12.

Huh.

It troubles me that she had to struggle with her identity for so long.  But she's out now and that's what matters.

Fuck you Kansas.  That's a father talking.


No comments: