Friday, September 10, 2010

No Fear


"We are going to let the musicians stretch out; in fact, we are going to require it.
We hear a lot of don't's.  Don't play so fast.  Don't play too many notes, too many changes.  Don't leave out the hook.
And all that comes from a place of fear.  Fear of no commercial success.  Fear that the kids will cover their ears; fear that the old folks will hate it.  Fear that all the hot chicks will move on to the next club.  Tonight we come to you from a place of no fear.  This is music musicians want to play."
Stanley Jordan, rap to intro "Return Voyage", Yoshi's SF, 9/6, 8.

The consistent takeaway from the world class musicians I've had the complete pleasure of meeting in the last three months is their need to play to the audience.  To dumb it down.  To satisfy the perceived desires of the mainstream with smooth jazz pablum.  Heard it from drummers, guitarists, pianists.  Monster musicians frustrated beyond words; the talent is better than it ever was.  The skill level is on par with elite athletes, the training and prep.  But the audience ain't there.  As one of the finest jazz pianists on the planet said to me:  "I like to play it rough; my jazz is lumpy.  But that's not what they come to hear."
Stanley blew that out of the water.  The man breathes and must bleed music.  Screams genius.  And the audience responded.  The others need to have more faith.  Our elected officials should be so audacious.

Been a while and I can't remember what the fuck I've done; I do know I have not lightened up.
8/30, four miles
8/31, mh stiff guy, three in am
9/1, kettlebell workout I don't remember, something too like what was done before and again after.
9/2, EH class
9/3, do remember this:
15 pushups, hands on med balls, feet elevated
10 squat to press, 80lb barbell
5+5 sls, bw, then 12kg bu
20 walking lunges, 35lb dumbbells in each
3x
20 24kg swings, 1+1 24kg tgu, x 10.
Home to ball play, scotch and streaming Bonnaroo per the above in honor of Labor day kickoff.  No, my calves are not fat, I have no cankles.  That is relaxed muscle and I will kick your fucking ass.
Sunday, three mile dog walk with 5.
Monday, three mile dog walk.
Into sf, drop Ian for movie, hit MG as follows:
10 knee ups
Press work,
5+5 16, 4+4 20, 3+3 24, 2+2 28, 1+1 32.  Killing all, both sides.
10 24 kg goblet squats
10+10, 28kg rows
3x, except third circuit 3+3 on the 28, and three singles each side for 32, very strong
20 28kg swings, 1+1 24kg x7, then 20x3 swings with brief rest each 20
Collect Ian and go have Stanley blow our minds, ask if he will do Wednesday if I can make it happen; he is right there.
Tuesday, mh noon class, rest is all court and work.  Walk in and Ian immediately says "you could not get tickets for tomorrow ?"  What have I done that he anticipates disappointment ?  I say no, we are doing it, he grins broadly, then catches himself.
Wednesday, three miles am.
PM:
20/20 10 pushups x 8
10 24kg gs
5 double 16 mp, 5 double 24kg mp
20 walking lunges, two 35lb
x3, 'cept ten pushups 2/3 to get to 100

15/15 snatches, 7 rep pace, x 40.

Thursday am, ct sends out group email calling me out for birthday festivities, yes I'll be your show dog pimp, not that I'm easy, it's just that you rock.
Late pm, client I have not heard from in months calls a 2:45, flipping.  Multiple six figures pulled from accounts by angry spouse.  Conflicted out, she calls yours truly because: "you're the nastiest, smartest lawyer I know."  Moi ?, why thank you, you don't get it, but thank you.  Talk her off the ledge, hit EH at 4:30.
Her class is a revelation.  Client parked in back of head.  EH just making us bring it.  Standing series toward end, cover of Comfortably Numb.  I am nearly bawling after a good week with Ian and she drops us into pidgeon during Trapeze Swinger and I am just gone, gone, gone.  I am sweating way too hard for her to rub the back of my neck, she does it with her voice.
Yanked back after, walking down Pine to ferry, client still flipping.  Texts/calls until 9:30, just listen and guide gently, there but for the grace of god go I.  No, you do not need a terrorist; you need someone who will tell you what you do not want to hear.
This morning, start of one of the more professionally satisfying days in memory.  Juggling SM duties, client freaking and demand letter fucking adroitly if I do say so myself.  By the end of the day, good report to judge re SM duties, client is thrilled with referral, off the ledge and talking.  Emails in pm setting up the week ahead, go in for 5:30 Pradeep class, he is scratched off for a sub.  Fuck it, its a rest day.  Home and my totally rocking daughter has dinner made.  Throw the ball for the dog, do not to feel self-satisfied, this bliss is temporary.  But looking forward to tomorrow and beyond.  Yee fucking ha.

No comments: