Monday, May 30, 2011

Gil

"All the dreams you show up in are not your own."
Gil Scott-Heron

Don't day dream looking forward to the next hit endorphin junkie. Be present and worthy of 425/hour. Go.
Thursday
To EH. She was gentle with us, easiest class I've taken with her. She said after she could feel everyone tired; Thursday energy.
Friday
Scramble. Do get to Pradeep for 5:30 - 7 class. Bring it; simply dripping sweat. Lengthy lengthy side series, double dose of ab work and then other side; by the time we hit lizard/then into pidgeon I am rocked. Looks and feels like I went swimming.

Home alone which is weird. See that Gil Scott-Heron has died at 62. Saw him in '77, he was incredible.  Could have seen him last year but elected not to. YouTube recent videos show a guy who burned up decades and phenomenal talent on crack. Folks said he played his old hits at his recent shows which disappointed. Where was Gil's commentary on Rodney King, Michael Jackson, New Orleans post-Katrina, or Obama ?
As far as I know nowhere, lost his voice and words to a small pipe, world shrunk down to a tiny little opening.  RIP.  Glad to remember him sounding like this:


Listen to more Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson at Wolfgang's Vault.

Saturday
Long work calls, pick up Yoshis run,
Duck into Equinox for VO2 max snatch work. 15/15 16kg 7 rep pace, x60.  Guy comes up, telling me I will fuck up my back with that exercise. No, I have rehabbed my back with this exercise and others like it.  He walks off muttering going back to his cable machine circuit. Look douchebag, I see people doing shit I know they should not do all the time, i.e. going into flexion on a dead lift. I say nothing, its none of my business. Maintain a neutral spine keep your core engaged and load posterior chain and you will get better. It's your ass going back and forth, not bending over going up and down. Whatever. Pouring rain, Rose gets ball play.
Sunday
Long walk with good dog ecstatic to be out in it.
Get call from Brigid, wants to be picked up.  Had enough gaming.  Its fine by me, need the company.  Pick-up Nicholas Payton, drop him at airport, should have caught his set Saturday.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIrE7tdac5I&feature=related.
Pick up Brigid.
We stop for CT. Good class, descending swing ladder and then 15/15 circuits with push-presses.  I don't train push presses.  Have always been a way to get a heavy weight overhead and do negatives until I can strict mp.  Struggle with mechanics first few circuits but think I get it and body feels like a fucking piston last set with 24kg; crank out 10 reps in 15 seconds.  Will do more of this.
Stop for dinner with Amy Anne and B, up to watch 127 hours with Brigid.
Monday.  Read New Yorker article re Gil.  http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/08/09/100809fa_fact_wilkinson.  Sad sad sad.  All that talent and his world became a crappy apartment and a crack pipe.

Don't be a junkie.  Mat and iron should expand the world, not shrink it.  Pour your soul into the iron ball, the mat; everything you do.  But it ain't all that you do.
 Rest day.  Bridesmaids with Brigid and Barry.  LMFAO, big time.  One of the funniest things I've ever seen.

No comments: