Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Musings - Reflection




"It would be ridiculous to suggest that ours was anything but a makeshift expedition."
Log From The Sea of Cortez, John Steinbeck

The above was taken around 1:00 p.m. on the trail from Alpine Lake to Kent Lake via Carson Falls in the MMWD watershed on July 14, 2001.  By 8:00 p.m. I would be swacked out on vicodin with a broken ankle resulting from a slip on the trail shortly after this was taken.  I was 41, out of shape, and supposed to be taking then eight year old Ian fishing.  I slipped for no reason other than I was weak, broke my ankle, and slid down the trail on my butt to the fire road where we had to walk for hours and eventually get picked up by a ranger.  The hike I had taken many times when much younger without a thought drove home the effect of age; poor Ian was enraged at the lost fishing opportunity, throwing rocks at me while I limped down the trail, one of many disappointments for him.

We have taken many longer hikes since and I never want to feel like that again.

So yesterday got to the gym by 7:30 with all intentions of a full six miles, but after four, the depo starting at ten was weighing too heavily so I broke it off, to get to the office.  Long grinding day.

Home by 6:30, no intention of marsh walk, but Rose was persuasive, which was going to turn my four mile day into a seven mile day, and I liked the way that sounded.  Left at 7:45, back by nine, all happy.

Circuit training this am, hammies felt shot but wanted to push through it, went like this:

First circuit
14 pushups to T side plank, 7l/7r
10 squat to press, 80 lb bar
8 curls, 80 lb bar
30 walking lunges, body weight
3x

Second circuit
20 renegade rows, 24kg
60 snatches, 10l/r 3x16kg
figure 8 to hold, 15 24kg
One minute, tripod on 75 cm ball
3x

Last snatch set was 10 24kg and 20 16kg, but had to drop down to 16kg on the figure eight to hold on third circuit, could not keep the handle on the 24.
Shoulders to knees humming.

Great 60 minute vinyasa class at 5:15, felt good even with ruckus in the morning.

No comments: