Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Resolutions




"With my freeze-ray I can stop, the world."
Joss Whedon, Dr. Horrible's Sing A-Long Blog

I have spent a considerable amount of my non-working time in the last 18.5 years looking through a camera lens.  I like it.  I have heard and considered those who say that the mechanical body insulates one from the actual experience, that the act of recordation necessarily distances one from event in real time.  They have a point.  But that distance, and it does exist, has allowed me to record, in considerable, if not obsessive, detail a large amount of personal history which, contrary to what Casteneda may have written, in my middle aged years I consider a good thing.
So when reflecting on what one may resolve to improve upon in the year to come, there is an ample record from which to measure progress.
Ok, so sap that I am, one area that screams for improvement is that I want my dog to be healthier.  The above was taken 3.5 years ago; pre medial patellar luxation surgery.  To the untrained eye, she appears much the same today.  But she has lost muscle mass; a fair amount, and since she was the catalyst for me regaining and building mine I owe it to her not to let the arc of my improving strength be paralleled by her deterioration.
So I resolve to do better by the dog, an insipidly modest goal:
Friday, four mile marsh walk;
Saturday, Brigid's B-day, low on time if not heart,
three mile marsh walk, then Brett Jones' 10-1 GS ladder, 20 swings with 20kg, per rung; on to thirty minutes of long boarding in the Berkeley flats pre duck a la orange, with Rose, incredulous but joyful.
Sunday, good three mile marsh walk, with Cinco, Ian, Bella, Rose and Petey, a crippled yet alpha terrier mix.
Monday, six miles in the am, return for pm circuits which went like this:

8+8 elevated pushups, opposite foot up
15+15 body weight bulgarian split squats
10 squat to press, 80 lb. barbell
15 medicine ball jumping jacks, 12 lb.
3x
10+10 16kg windmills
24, 32, 16, 32, 24, 16 kg hill circuit, 10 swings per, 60 per set
16kg overhead sit ups, 15
4x
Today, six miles in the am; pm sixty minutes stiff guy yoga class, hamstrings for 60 minutes.  Gonna feel it tomorrow.  Resolve to do better by everyone, canine or no.

No comments: